I have promised myself for several years that I would complete a strategic plan for my life. I imagine myself as someone who takes control of her life and destiny… as someone who recognizes opportunities as seizes them. But if I’m being honest with myself, how will I recognize every opportunity if I cannot articulate my ambitions and goals?
As the basis for my plan, I am using a template I picked up in my strategic planning course in graduate school. For those who care to join me on this mission of designing a strategic plan for your own life, I will break down the steps in strategic planning. I have also included a table that illustrates the strategic terminology for those who are more visual learners.
- Vision: What can be…ideal dream.
- Mission: Broad based statement of the purpose of our existence…general direction…what we intend to accomplish…our life philosophy.
- Goals: Expected Outcome…General Direction, not always time driven.
- Objectives: Specific ends with established time within framework of broader goals.
- Strategy: Options and methods to achieve goals.
- Tactics: Specific actions taken to carry out strategies.
- Operations: Outcomes–resources/process.
- History: This does not necessarily have to be IN the strategic plan. In the words of the great philosopher George Santayana, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
Today I developed a draft of my plan that takes me all the way through my objectives. Because I cannot help but make lists and goals (I live by lists and goals!), I was fortunate to have my bucket list and my manifesto to assist me. Much of the hard work was already done and I spent most of my morning and early afternoon piecing these together with care.
Next I will develop a draft of my strategy, tactics, and operations. The bucket list and manifesto will continue to come in handy, but I will also pull from my goals for 2012 to develop these.
I hope this helps and inspires you to realize your dreams. May you imagine, articulate, and stretch as you develop your own life plan!